Thursday 17 July 2008

Euphemisms

Language and its effect on how we think and behave has always fascinated me, for example how some a tribe in the Amazon have loads of words for the colour green, as it is important for survival but when shown something red and orange, they appeared to be the same object, and not being able to distinguish between he two. (I have not included and facts the original article was in the new scientist, I will have to dig it out)
And I hate when people talk around problems, for example a classic Monty Python scene in The Life of Brian when the Peoples front of Judea are called to action, but cant do anything until a motion has been drawn up. It reminds me of various experiences of political bodies and organizations that continually cloud real problems with words. So today my call to action is to watch this clip by George Carlin and laugh.

No comments: